- Hartman Rocks is a large network of shreddy, high desert single track containing many campsites. It’s located approximately 40 minutes from Crested Butte, and just outside the city of Gunnison.
- Visitors may find more camping availability at Hartman Rocks during peak summer months.
- There are 60 Designated Dispersed sites with the largest concentration of campsites near McCabe’s Lane entrance and the top of Kill Hill.
Designated Camping Regulations
- Camp only at designated sites
- All sites are first come first serve
- Fires are only permitted in established metal fire rings
- Extinguish all fires so they are cold to the touch before leaving the fire
- Campers are responsible for knowing any local fire restrictions and only burning when permitted
- Sites are limited to two vehicles only per site
- No stay can exceed 14 days
- No site saving- it is illegal to leave property unattended for more than 24 hours
- Pack out all trash, including human waste
- Do not leave any food or garbage unattended or out in the open, as it attracts wildlife
Gunnison - Crested Butte
There are many established campgrounds located within the Gunnison Valley, some managed by federal entities and others that are privately owned. These campgrounds offer significantly more amenities than designated or dispersed camping areas but require a nightly fee. These amenities can include picnic tables, water, toilets, electric hookups, tent pads, showers, and more. Some of these campgrounds allow you to book nights ahead of time, which we highly recommend if you want to be certain you will have a place to camp when you arrive.